Chipotle Closes Restaurant in Virginia Due to Serious Norovirus

Chipotle Closes Restaurant in Virginia Due to Serious Norovirus [Updated]

493
0
SHARE

Chipotle

Chipotle Mexican Grill closed one restaurant in Virginia due to a serious norovirus. The closure was voluntary, according to a Reuters report on July 18, 2017.

There were eight reports made on a website designed for people who have suffered food poisoning to share the information; iwaspoisoned.com. According to this website, the reports stated that at least 13 customers at the least were sick after eating at the Virginia Chipotle location on July 14-15.

The reported symptoms are associated with a norovirus, which is highly contagious causing excessive vomiting and diarrhea. Noroviruses are able to spread from person-to-person and also through food made by an infected person.

Investors of Chipotle are absolutely cognizant of food safety after recovering from E.Coli, and Salmonella breakouts in 2015. Furthermore, closures due to any foodborne illness can have repercussions in the stock market.

“Chipotle’s stock closed down 4.3 percent, or $17.02, at $374.98 on Tuesday after falling as low as $362.40. The shares were trading at nearly $750 before the company’s previous food-safety incidents, which battered the chain’s profits and reputation,” according to Reuters.

UPDATE: July 19, NBC News reports that the local health department received complaints from 60 individuals. “The specific cause of the outbreak has not been found, the Loudoun County Health Department said in a statement.”

The restaurant opened the day after it had closed after it was completely sanitized.

Written by A. Jonathan Seabrook
Edited by Cathy Milne

Sources:

Reuters.com: Chipotle shuts down Virginia restaurant due to Norovirus worries
NBC News: 60 People Told Officials They Got Sick From Eating at Virginia Chipotle Location

Featured and Top Image Courtesy of Mike Mozart’s Flickr page- Creative Commons License

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY