On Sept. 28, 2016, eight soccer games completed the second matchday of the 2016-17 UEFA Champions League’s group stage. Some of the matches registered surprising results.
Atletico Madrid 1-0 Bayern Munich
The game between Atletico Madrid and Bayern Munich was the derby of the day. The Spanish team won against Bayern, at the Vicente Calderon Stadium. The final score was 1-0.
Yannick Carrasco scored the only goal of the match in the first half. Both teams had many chances to modify the scoreboard; Atletico Madrid even received a penalty in the last minutes of the game. However, the scoreboard remained the same.
As of this result, the Spanish crew obtained the second victory against Bayern Munich in 2016. For the latter, it was the first loss since August, interrupting a series of eight victories in a row.
Matchday 2 Highlights
- Moussa Dembele (Celtic) scored the first goal of the day, in the third minute of the game against Manchester City.
- Dries Mertens (Napoli), Edinson Cavani (Paris SG), Moussa Dembele (Celtic), Dmitri Poloz (FK Rostov), and Theo Walcott (Arsenal) scored twice for their teams.
- Raheem Sterling (Manchester City) put the ball in the net for both teams, scoring a regular and an own goal.
- Arkadiusz Milik (Napoli) scored from a penalty kick, while Cosmin Moti (Ludogorets), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid), and Davy Propper (PSV Eindhoven) each missed a penalty.
All the Results of Matchday 2
- Arsenal 2-0 Basel
- Borussia Monchengladbach 1-2 Barcelona
- Besiktas 1-1 Dynamo Kiev
- Celtic 3-3 Manchester City
- FK Rostov 2-2 PSV Eindhoven
- Ludogorets 1-3 Paris SG
- Napoli 4-2 Benfica
The next stage of the 2016-17 UEFA Champions League’s group phase will take place on Oct. 18 and 19, 2016.
Written by Bianca-Ramona Dumitru
Daily Mail: Atletico Madrid host Bayern Munich in a clash which wouldn’t look out of place as a Champions League final: Who will have the upper hand at the Vicente Calderon?
Image Courtesy of DSanchez17’s Flickr Page – Creative Commons License