‘Wreck-It Ralph’ Sequel Is on Its Way to Theaters

‘Wreck-It Ralph’ Sequel Is on Its Way to Theaters


Wreck-It Ralph

On June 30, 2016, Walt Disney Animations unveiled the release date for the “Wreck-It Ralph” sequel. The film’s director, Rich Moore and screenwriter Phil Johnston, for the Disney animated movie, announced that the follow-up movie is scheduled to hit theaters March 9, 2018.

According to “The Hollywood Reporter,” the announcement was streamed live on Disney’s Facebook page. The “Wreck-It Ralph” main character, John C. Reilly was also live on Facebook for the big reveal.

The original 2012 movie featured Ralph, played by Reilly, as the misunderstood villain in an eight-bit video game, who strives hard to change his personality. According to IMdB, Ralph wants to be seen the same way as his video game’s seemingly perfect guy, Fix-It Felix. Unfortunately, Wreck-It Ralph is a video game villain who wants to be a hero. On his quest to fulfill his dreams, he causes chaos in the arcade where he lives.

Reilly and Sarah Silverman, who played Vanellope von Schweetz, will both star in the 2018 “Wreck-It Ralph” sequel, on its way to theaters. According to IMdB, the two characters could not relate when they first met. Ralph saw Vanellope as a thief, and Vanellope viewed Ralph as a buffoon. The more time the two characters spent together, they realized they were not so different after all. They were both tired of being mistreated by other game characters and wanted to make a change.

Ralph and Vanellope became a dynamic duo as they realized they cared about each other and had each other’s best interest in mind. Although they began to work well together, their relationship was similar to that of a big brother and little sister.

Not much has been released about the new plot but according to Oh My Disney, Ralph will be wreaking havoc on the internet, in his usual reckless fashion, as old-school arcade games shift to more modern video games. Reilly stated that many children have told him how much his character is loved, and they are excited to see the return of Ralph and Vanellope when the “Wreck-It Ralph” sequel hits theaters.

Moore and Johnston will co-direct and co-write the “Wreck-It Ralph” follow-up. The two said, in a statement, that they started directing the film shortly after the original was released. Moore stated he had always known the “Wreck-It Ralph” characters had unlimited possibilities. Moore and Johnston have worked on other projects together. According to “The Hollywood Reporter,” they co-directed “Zootopia,” the 2016 film that is the second highest earning film of the year, so far.

Reilly exclaimed his excitement for the “Wreck-It Ralph” sequel to be on its way to theaters. He discussed, with Oh My Disney, his enthusiasm for the return of his character, and he explained how important Ralph’s character is to him.

The original “Wreck-It Ralph” was nominated for an Oscar, as Best Animated Feature. Also, the movie won 33 awards, including a Critics Choice Award and a Blimp award from the Kids’ Choice Awards.

“Wreck-It Ralph” earned $470 million dollars at the worldwide box office in 2012. Walt Disney Animation will also release, “Moana,” a movie about a young Polynesian girl and the ancient demi-god, Maui. “Moana” will be released in November 2016. Originally, Disney was supposed to release, “Jack and the Beanstalk Retelling Gigantic” on the same day “Wreck-It Ralph” will be released, however, the Jack and the Beanstalk movie has been pushed back to Nov. 18, 2018.

By Angela Rightout
Edited by Jeanette Smith


The Hollywood Reporter: Disney Plans ‘Wreck-It-Ralph’ Sequel for 2018
Oh My Disney: Wreck-It-Ralph” Sequel IS On Its Way! Here’s Everything We Know So Far
E! News:  Wreck-It Ralph 2 Coming to Theaters in 2018
IMdB: Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

Photo Courtesy of Compulsive Collector’s Flickr Page – Creative Commons License


Leave a Reply