A fire broke out in an apartment building in Adelphi, Maryland on Jan. 13, 2016. NBC affiliate, Channel 4, reports that the residents were rescued from the building balconies. The blaze was reported at 5:20 p.m. EST in a six-story building located on the 9200 block of New Hampshire Avenue near Metzerott Road.
The News4 helicopter recorded firefighters assisting residents using a ladder. Those who were unable to escape from the building via the hallways were rescued from balconies.
According to Mark Brady, a Prince George County Fire Department spokesman, the inferno quickly spread throughout the building and appears to have begun in one apartment. Also responding to the two-alarm blaze was the Montgomery County Fire Department.
Currently, the firefighters are inside the building searching for anyone unable to evacuate. Brady noted that it is possible that many residents were at work when the blaze broke out. He added the firefighters were also rescuing any pets they locate.
The majority of the fire was extinguished by 6:00 p.m., however, the crews are still working to ensure the blaze is completely out and that everyone is safe. Additionally, due to the fire hoses and equipment stretched across New Hampshire Avenue, there are some traffic backups in the area.
There have been no serious injuries reported at this time. Although, several people are being evaluated.
Update: 10:00 p.m. EST. According to Fox News affiliate, 5 News Washington DC, reports tow people from the apartment, where the fire began suffered burn injuries. They were transported to a local Maryland burn unit for treatment of non-life-threatening burns.
Additionally, three firefighters also suffered injuries. Two of them were transported to the burn department, one with a minor burn and the other with an inhalation injury. the third suffered a leg injury.
The Red Cross has been notified and their disaster team is assisting displaced residents.
The Public Slate will continue to provide updates as they become available.
By Cathy Milne
NBC News4 Washington: Fire Rages at Maryland Apartment Building
FOX News5 Washington: Firefighters rescue residents from 2-alarm fire at Md. apartment complex
Image Courtesy of Sparky’s Flickr Page – Creative Commons License